Tuesday, May 17, 2011

EAT Superfood Salad

When trying to come up with a handful of healthy recipes I could just keep making over and over again, I wanted to make sure they were delicious. I don't see the point in eating something that isn't awesome. I wrangled together some of my favorites (which I shall be posting soon, I swear) and sought to recreate some tasty dishes I had eaten elsewhere. I started thinking about all the great sandwich shops in London and how they understood the quick and healthy lunch better than the US.


When I was living in London a trend was towards the "super food" salad. Each sandwich shop had their own version and although it seems like most of them didn't last and aren't on their menus anymore, I vividly remember the Superfood Salad from EAT.


I am so glad that I was able to recreate this salad because it is awesome. It has all you could hope for in a salad: crunchy, creamy, earthy, sweet, salty and tangy! There is so much going on and it all goes together so well. I think I could eat this everyday but I don't ever want to burn out on it so I've been cutting back to twice a week. I'm not even kidding you. I'm a master beet peeler now. And did you know sweet potatoes still taste good in the spring? That's rhetorical. Maybe you're not like me and can think of the sweet potato beyond thanksgiving casserole. Way to go! I diced this sweet potato and roasted it until tender and then tossed them with some of the dressing and- wait for it- poppy seeds. Doesn't that's just make you smile? I love poppy seeds.


Also this salad has been a great way to use up an old bag of frozen edamame that has been sitting in limbo for quite some time... And I hear they're healthy too!

EAT Superfood Salad
Adapted from a defunct salad at EAT.
Serves 2
Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 tsp poppy seeds
  • 1 bunch broccolini
  • 1/3 cup peas, frozen
  • 1/4 cup edamame, frozen
  • 2 small beets
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1 handful alfalfa sprouts
  • 1-2oz goat cheese
  • 2 tbsp toasted seeds: pumpkin, sesame or sunflower
For the dressing:
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 375. Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Toss with some olive oil on a cookie sheet and spread out evenly. Roast until tender- 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 tbls salad dressing and poppy seeds.

Heat a pot of salted water to a boil and add in broccolini. Simmer for 2 minutes and add peas and edamame. Simmer everything for another 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Trim beets of roots and shoots. Remove skin with a vegetable peeler and grate the beets through the large holes of a cheese grater (or use shredding attachment on food processor). Toss shredded beets with 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar. Taste and add more vinegar if needed. Arrange salad in soup bowl starting with the spinach in one group, tuck in 3-4 stems broccolini, clump together some sweet potatoes and beets, fill in with the peas and edamame. Fit in a chunk of goat cheese and top it all off with alfalfa sprouts in the middle and seeds tossed on top of everything. Drizzle the dressing over top.


4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and simple. The colours are gorgeous! Definitely something I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My momma has always said that you should eat as many colors as possible everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM and I'm making this PRONTO.
    Love your story about your BK burger post-India so much I had to come over to say holla. Thanks for the welcome home!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by! And welcome back!! I'm gonna go read through all your india archives now ;)

    ReplyDelete