This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.
I chose to do the simple tuile recipe and it was indeed very simply. Kinda just mix up your ingredients until they are nice and homogeneous. The recipe says to put your dough and buttered pan in the fridge for about 15 minutes to firm up. I actually left mine in the fridge overnight and should have let the dough heat up a bit. ..
It was a bit temperamental... I also should not have added the chocolate powder to my dough! Having not read the recipe through (doh!), I didn't realize the powder was supposed to be added to a small batch of the dough to use as embellishments on the tuile- which would have been lovely! But in my case, the chocolate kinda diluted any flavor and made for a very "meh" cookie.
Pop these babies in the oven for about 5-10 minutes until they are brown around the edges. Once you remove them from the oven, quickly start shaping the cookies.
At least he's on a pretty blue plate! right? right?!
- 65 grams / ¼ cup / 2.3 ounces softened butter (not melted but soft)
- 60 grams / ½ cup / 2.1 ounces sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar (7 grams or substitute with a dash of vanilla extract)
- 2 large egg whites (slightly whisked with a fork)
- 65 grams / 1/2 cup / 2.3 ounces sifted all purpose flour
- 1 table spoon cocoa powder/or food coloring of choice
- Butter/spray to grease baking sheet