Friday, May 20, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Last week my boyfriend had a birthday and as I tend to do, I made him a cake. Well no, I made him a pie. No, actually, I made him 4 pies- he got 2 of them.


Maybe you're wondering: "but Claire, I thought you were on a diet? Or at least attempting to be healthier? this does not seem to fit into that plan!" Well dear reader(s), I was very well behaved. I sampled. I just hope a pie post doesn't make me a cheater!



And the reason I made 4 pies? I based the recipe off one by Ms. Paula Deen and hers is meant to make two 9" pies. Who scales a recipe to that size?! It's like reading through the CIA cookbook all over again! "To make 6 banana loaves, begin by creamer 12 sticks of butter". Craziness!



I probably could have avoided the whining by halving the recipe but I figured with people in town, we could use the extra pie- only problem is that my mother apparently doesn't own a pie dish. I had the one Kris gave me for Christmas one year so I greased that one up and went searching for my mom's. I must have been making it up because I couldn't find it anywhere. In fact, Mother- you who loves pies- do you even MAKE pies?! Because I can't recall any! I know you went through a Lemon Meringue Pie Phase but then WHERE is the pie dish!? I found 2 tart pans! and 2 mini loaf pans and 2 regular loaf pans- a bundt cake pan, an angel food cake pan and even a tube pan! but no pie dish!




Mom- I think you've been outed as a pie phony.




Here- have some pie and realize what homemade deliciousness you've been missing out on.




I still love you.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Adapted from Paula Deen
Makes two 9" pie (or one 9" pie and three 3" pies)
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup (2-sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbls vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9" pie dishes.


In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a mixer, cream together the sugars and butter until nice and fluffy. To the mixer, add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each. Add the vanilla to the mixer then add the flour in little batches until well combined (without overbeating). Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.


Divide between the two pie dishes and level out with a spatula. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the pies cool before serving topped with whipped cream (from the can), chocolate syrup and sprinkles. Don't forget the sprinkles.


Chocolate Syrup
Adapted from Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries & Shakes

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tbl light corn syrup
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened good quality dutch processed cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
In a small saucepan combine the water, sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and whisk in the chocolate powder. Continue whisking until slightly thickened- about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla. Let cool completely and transfer to a squeeze bottle and store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment