Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oh right, It's the Superbowl

I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I kinda don't like the Superbowl. Maybe what I mean is that I don't like sports in general. When my boyfriend asks whether I want to go to a baseball game, I say "Sure. As long as I can eat as much as I want." This is how I ended up eating a loaded Chicago hot dog, a bag of peanuts and 3 illegally purchased beers at Wrigley field a couple summers ago. And the illegal part isn't because I was under 21 but that my driver's license was vertical. Are you following this? In Virginia, your first license is vertical and in big red letters says: "Under 18 until this date" and "Under 21 until this date" And even though the date listed was clearly some time (years!) ago, this didn't make a difference to Wrigley field. They have their owns laws. All of this to say that if it weren't for food and drink, you could not drag me to a venue or pin me down to a sofa to watch sports.

This year, we decided to make Hot Sausage dip- a recipe that was cleverly inserted into a gift I received this Christmas from Kris' Aunt Diane.


Look at that printed recipe!

Step 1: Dice up a pound of processed cheese. No, this isn't going to be a very healthy or natural recipe...

After softening some onion and garlic, add in a pound of lean ground beef and 1pd of jimmy dean sausage roll. We couldn't find any jimmy dean sausage roll and had to substitute.

The recipe says that once the meat is browned, to melt the cheese in the microwave and then add the meat mixture to the cheese. Not wanting to dirty another bowl (or maybe I just don't have another bowl) we cheated a little..


Clearly deviating from the recipe

Then we just threw in the rest of the ingredients: the can of jalapenos and our fake can of Rotel. We also added some garlic salt and cumin (well, I wish we added cumin. We were out and used ground coriander instead because this is supposedly similar)



General consensus? Might look like dog food, but it sure does taste good!



Hot Sausage Dip
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pd Jimmy Dean sausage roll
  • 1 pd lean hamburger meat
  • 1 pd processed cheese, diced
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 10oz can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chillies)
  • 1 7oz can chopped jalapenos

Add oil to a large saute pan. Once hot, add in your onions and garlic and cook until softened. Next add the beef and sausage roll making sure to crumble it as it browns. Next add in cubed cheese and rest of ingredients as the cheese melts.
Serve with corn chips.

2 comments: