I may have made these cupcakes for my office about 3 weeks ago but I sure could use one now...
Hyped-up Coffee Cupcakes
From this recipe on cupcakeblog
- 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature *
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark roast coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup strong brewed, dark roast coffee
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and coffee grounds in a bowl.
5. Measure out coffee and milk together.
6. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
7. Add about one third the coffee/milk mixture and beat until combined.
8. Repeat above, alternating flour and coffee and ending with the flour mixture.
9. Scoop into cupcake papers about two-thirds to three-quarters full (depending on whether you want flat or domed cupcakes. Note that these cupcakes will shrink slightly when they cool).
10. Bake for 22-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
* I never remember to take my butter out in time so it usually ends up nestled in my cookbooks on top of the heater.
Tip: Be careful when adding the coffee/milk mixture to the batter. If you add it too quickly the mixture will look curdled. Add small amounts and beat well to incorporate.