Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pumpkins




Pumpkin and apple picking last week was a blast and then it rained. And rained. I haven't seen rain like that in a while. I even took a video but it really doesn't come through... so I'll spare you. But here is a picture:

Some yellow leaves are appearing and my monster plant is quite happy

So for about a week I couldn't do anything with my haul of pumpkins but stare and hope they didn't rot.


And the sun finally came out so I finally played around with them. I had visions of piling them high atop a cafe table, like I had seen online but my table was a little too wobbly and my pumpkins were kinda massive. In the end I ended up with this-


I grabbed a plastic urn planter that still had some mint and lemon verbena growing in it and plopped a Cinderella pumpkin on top and topped that with a Boer Squash



This little orange guy was the one we actually picked from an actual pumpkin patch! Tip: bring a knife! 


My brother Tristan hates this cement dog so my mom called it Tristan. There is another cement dog on the other side of the door also named Tristan. My mom is hilarious. 



And I've been wanting to make Whoopie Pies for a while- and all I needed was an excuse: Boss Day! Did you know it was Boss Day on Monday?


I have loved everything I've made out of my Baked cookbook so I had no hesitations in making their Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. 


Just don't eat more than one. Promise? After testing my batch I thought this picture would surely be enhanced by having one pie with a bite mark but then you can't just put the pie back on the plate after that- so I naturally ate it. And regretted it. These are moist, creamy and decadent. Don't get greedy!

Just one Whoopie Pie

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Makes 12-24 whoopie pies
(I used a 1/2 inch ice cream scoop and got about 24 pies that seemed big enough for me)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
3 cups chilled pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350*F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar and oil until mixed. Add the pumpkin and whisk to combine. Add the eggs and vanilla, whisk to combine.
Sprinkle the flour over the pumpkin mixture and whisk to combine. 
Use a small ice cream scoop to drop spoonfuls of dough an inch apart onto baking sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are cracked on top and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cookies to cool completely on the pans.
For the icing, sift the confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl.
Fit an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and combined. Add the confectioners’ sugar and beat until combined. Lower speed and add the vanilla, beat until just mixed.
Place about 1-2 tbls of filling on the flat side of one cookie and sandwich with another. Press gently to spread the filling to the edges of the cookies. Store covered in the refrigerator, separating layers of whoopie pies with waxed paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment