Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My First Omelet

My dad says that as a kid, my mom fed us omelets and scrambled eggs so often that my brother and I developed an aversion to eggs in any form (well except in cakes, ice cream, custards ect....). I vaguely remember this typical dinner of a simple omelet with a piece of toast cut in triangles, slathered in jam and placed on either side of the plate.

I'd like to think that since my stay in India, I've been pretty open to all kinds of food and have re-discovered many. Eggs are certainly one of them. While staying with a Tibetan family, I was offered scrambled eggs with some kind of processed cheese every morning. Not wanting to offend anyone or be difficult, I ate it up and gradually learned to like it.

Back in the states, Egg in the Hole was my first baby step towards bringing eggs back into my life. A disgusting Fritatta set me back a bit, but I think I've finally come full circle. I made my first omelet successfully and liked it quite a bit. Here's how it went down:

Melt down some butter in oil. You must wait for the pan to be hot enough.

You'll know once the butter stops foaming

Kinda like that.

Then poor in the blended eggs

And let them sit for a few seconds. Shake them loose until most of the egg has set.
Shake the omelet to the edge of the pan and add in the fixings- here we have some caramelized onions and blue cheese.

Then flip the pan over while sliding the omelet onto the plate.

TADA!

Kris got me that Autumn-ey apron :)
I just had to add some walnuts.

Julia Child's Rolled Omelet
From Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol I
  • 2 eggs blended in a bowl
  • 2 tbl butter
  • 1 tbl oil
  • caramelized onions
  • blue cheese
  • walnuts

No real instructions are required here, just watch this clip and absorb what Julia is doing. It's all in the wrist!

No comments:

Post a Comment