Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chocolate and Banana Ice Cream

The most recent Daring Baker's Challenge was to make a flourless chocolate cake and handmade ice cream. The cake was a cinch, but as I don't have an ice cream maker, I was a little dubious about hand churning. I really can't stand icy ice cream and couldn't fathom how I could make this work in my favor. Since February flew by in about 4 hours, I never had time to find out, but having done some research on the subject, I was led to Ice Cream guru David Lebovitz's blog and this fantabulous recipe. Seriously, this stuff came out so well that I've already made it three times meaning March is already kicking February's ass.


1 ripe banana and some chopped up bittersweet chocolate

Secret Ingredient. Maybe I should have posted this yesterday....


Melt the chocolate with the milk and pour into a blender


Add in the chopped banana, baileys and rum

Blitz

So silky smooth already!

CUT TO: four hours later

YUM!

Chocolate and Banana Ice Cream
From this recipe by David Lebovitz
  • 2 ounces (55 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 6 tablespoons (80 ml) milk, whole or low-fat
  • 6 tablespoons (80 ml) Baileys liquor
  • 1 medium-sized ripe banana, peeled, and cut into chunks
  • 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dark rum

1. In a small bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or in the microwave), melt the chocolate with the milk.
2. Blend the melted chocolate the Baileys, the banana, and rum until smooth.
3. Pour into a plastic or metal container, cover, and freeze for at least 4 hours.


3 comments:

  1. I want to come for a visit and have this ice cream!!! and the strawberry cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't let a chocoholic view these pictures... I'm going to make every one of these recipes, Claire (except the Croque Monsieur which has no chocolate) Kell :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nell- Just let me know the date! ;)

    Kell- I didn't even notice I had been posting so many chocolate related recipes! But of them all, this ice cream is absolutely delicious and incredibly easy to make. So start with that ;)

    ReplyDelete