Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pizza Dough

I think I really cheated the recipe on this month's Daring Baker's Challenge. I'll admit to not fully reading the recipe when I made the dough the day before and didn't realize all the timings involved.... "On the day you plan to eat pizza, exactly 2 hours before you make it, remove the desired number of dough balls from the refrigerator [...] Loosely cover the dough rounds with plastic wrap and then allow to rest for 2 hours." This was not a recipe for a weeknight dinner... unless you're happy eating very late. So I thought I'd be smart and take the dough out of the fridge that morning on my way to work and so my dough developed a pretty thick crust as it rose...


yum.....

So we peeled it off and things were fine. This is also when i realized that I hadn't done anything past step 2 for day 1 in the recipe... so I hadn't separated the dough into 6 balls or whatever it was...


My friend and new fellow Daring Baker Jen came over to assist
The Action Shot
In this photo it's important to note the evil Gluten and Wheat Free flour I bought by mistake.. Thankfully I only had to use it to toss the dough
Adding the toppings
We made two savory pizzas. A delicious Broccoli and Sun Dried tomato Pizza with chicken and we tried to improv a Barbeque Chicken Pizza which turned out pretty darn tasty!

I mean look at that!!

Overall I was pretty satisfied with the dough, although I'm not sure that I will use this recipe again- too time consuming! Plus the directions were thoroughly confusing due to the back and forth between the regular recipe and the GF version. I still give this challenge the thumbs up for inspiring my pizza topping creativity

British BBQ Chicken Pizza

The tomato chutney adds a wonderful texture and punch of flavor to this sometimes overwhelming pizza.

  • Pizza dough
  • 1/4 Cup BBQ sauce
  • 1/4 Cup Creme Fraiche
  • 1/3 Cup of Tomato Chutney
  • 1 cooked chicken breast
  • 1 red pepper sliced
  • 2 spring onions chopped
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese

Mix the first three ingredients and adjust accordingly. Spread evenly over the pizza. Sprinkle on remaining ingredients, finishing with the cheddar. Bake in hot oven until it smells ready

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmmm; BBQ chicken pizza is one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bbq chicken pizza and yours looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! action and friend with the challenge, no wonder your pizzas look super delish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have taken a picture of the pizza I made last night, it was your pizza recipe!! It was delicious!!! Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Broccoli and Sun Dried Tomato Pizza. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pizzas look fab.
    Cool action shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just goes to show you how forgiving this dough really is. I have made this dough recipe in the morning, put it in the fridge, take it out when I get home in the early evening and then make the pizza. I don't even let it rest the full two hours. Anyway, your pizzas look great. They really do. Well done.

    ReplyDelete