- 2 onions, halved
- 4″ nub of ginger, halved lengthwise
- 5-6 lbs of good beef bones, preferably leg and knuckle
- 1 lb of beef meat - chuck, brisket, rump, cut into large slices [optional]
- 6 quarts of water
- 1 package of Pho spices [1 cinnamon stick, 1 tbl coriander seeds, 1 tbl fennel seeds, 5 star anise, 1 cardamom pod, 6 whole cloves - in mesh bag]
- 1 1/2 tbl salt
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 inch chunk of yellow rock sugar (about 1 oz) - or 1oz of regular sugar
- 2 lbs rice noodles (dried or fresh)
- cooked beef from the broth
- 1/2 lb flank, london broil, sirloin or eye of round, sliced as thin as possible.
- big handful of each: mint, cilantro, basil
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2-3 chili peppers, sliced
- 2 big handfuls of bean sprouts
- Hoisin sauce
- Cock sauce (Sriracha)
Boil broth: Add ginger, onion, spice packet, beef, sugar, fish sauce, salt and simmer uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the beef meat and set aside (you’ll be eating this meat later in the bowls) Continue simmering for another 1 1/2 hours. Strain broth and return the broth to the pot. Taste broth and adjust seasoning - if you want a little more flavor, add a few dashes more of fish sauce, large pinch of salt and a small nugget of rock sugar (or large pinch of regular sugar).
Here we have some thinly sliced steak and TWO spice sachets (one is definitely enough)
Prepare noodles & meat: Slice your flank/London broil/sirloin as thin as possible - try freezing for 15 minutes prior to slicing to make it easier. Remember the cooked beef meat that was part of your broth? Cut or shred the meat and set aside. Arrange all other ingredients on a platter for the table. Your guests will “assemble” their own bowls. Follow the directions on your package of noodles - there are many different sizes and widths of rice noodles, so make sure you read the directions. For some fresh rice noodles, just a quick 5 second blanch in hot water is all that’s needed. The package that I purchased (above) - needed about 45 seconds in boiling water.
Kick back, relax and enjoy.