Thursday, February 7, 2008

My 7am Tuna Fish Sandwiches

What a way to start the day! I don't like fish really. I would say I dont like anything from the sea but that's only partially true- I've been forced into eating shrimp and lobster ("Eat it Claire, it's exspensive!!") for so long that i didn't have a choice in developing a taste for it. My mother has made tuna fish sandwiches for herself and herself alone for as long as I can remember. As a kid I was very grateful that she never forced me into eating the things but now that I am older and wiser I suspect that she just didn't want to share it. I was finally introduced to the wonders of this tuna fish sandwich one lazy summer day when my mom had made a batch and I was so lazy and hungry that I needed immediate satisfaction regardless of content. Although I wasn't completely blown over by my mom's elusive sandwich at the time I did keep having it now and again when I was hungry and noticed a tupreware full of tuna fish salad hidden in the back of the fridge. Then one day I realized that I was actually craving said sandwich. The time had come to incorporate The Tuna Fish Sandwich into my life.

Now that my office no longer has a canteen and I must rely on myself for midday sustenance, I figured I should revive the good old tuna fish sandwich. A quick email to my mother informed me that there was no recipe involved- just ingredients. And so I give you:



The Pescaterian's* Tuna Fish Sandwich

For the filling

  • 1 can of Tuna (haven't quite decided on water or brine... any thoughts?)
  • Mayonaise (maybe 2 tbl)
  • Lots of dill
  • Diced pickles
  • Garlic powder

Must have the proper bread and fixin's!

  • Pain au Lait (or brioche- oh so good with the salty filling!!)
  • Crispy lettuce
  • Babybel

Simply mix all the ingrdients in a tuperware bowl. To assemble the sandwich toast the brioche, melt some Babybel cheese on top, add a layer of the tuna fish filling and finish with lots of lettuce and a frilly toothpick.

*The Pescatarian being my mother

1 comment:

  1. I am happy you decided to start your own blog - I can tell after just two posts that I will enjoy reading in the future - you crack me up! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete